Saturday, February 25, 2012

The infamous first post

You know that one where we break the ice, and I tell you why I'm here and what I'm blogging about? That's this post. Sometimes I wish I could be more clever or interesting about these things, but I'm pretty clever about a few other things so it all evens out.

I'm in the middle of writing a book called The Nanotech In You which is under review at an editor's desk. It's a molecular biology tour of your body.

Why? Two reasons. First of all, molecular biology both fascinating and beautiful. Everything our body does is at a basic level an intricate dance between atoms and molecules. Second, if we truly want to understand our bodies and take control of our health, we need to know what's going on under the hood. Our organs work because of what our cells do, which work because of what the molecules inside them do.

I fell in love with molecular biology the day I saw a diagram of a cell membrane. This was a lot more detailed information than just "you are made up of molecules" or even "cells are made up of molecules". This showed what they were, and how they worked. Then I learned about protein creation and the genetic code. The prospect of little computers and little robots inside all of our cells boggled the bigger bio-computer in my skull. Have a genetic problem? It's really a problem with creating some protein you need somewhere. Knowing what that is means we can learn how to fix it.

So, the next post will be about cell membranes. Posts after that may include other explorations of cells, demystifying proteins, bios of dead scientists, cool dead science theories, articles for regular people about current advances in molecular biology and nanotechnology, and whatever other scientific awesomeness takes my fancy.

Mycoplasma mycoides was painted by David S. Goodsell, a fantastic artist/scientist. You can learn more about all of the detail shown in this watercolor here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea you were scientifically inclined. My degree is in Molecular and Cellular Biology (ask me if I remember anything past Biology 101), so I'm excited to read your posts.

    I love the take on breaking down who we are to such a simple level. I'ts amazing my fingers can move across the keyboard without oozing into undefined matter and disapating into the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah. I wanted to be a scientist when I was 6 or 7 years old, but wasn't sure what kind. Wanted to be a biologist when I was around 14, but wasn't sure what kind. When I saw that diagram of the cell membrane with its phospholipid bilayer, I knew I wanted to study Molecular Biology. Added bonus: it included genetics which I had also grown fond of. I also wanted to be a writer. One of these lifestyles fits better with being a mother, but now my kids are mostly self sufficient.

      Delete